Wsib Interjurisdictional Agreement

english Fact Sheet Outofprovince Employer – Tips for Doing Business in Ontario Welcome to Ontario. If your company employs workers in Ontario but is not based in Ontario (a non-resident employer), you should read this brochure. We believe that with your help, we can stop all injuries and illnesses in the workplace, and we want you to understand your responsibility to support it. Workplace Safety and Insurance – Protecting Employers and Workers Most Ontario employers pay premiums for non-civil insurance coverage in the event of an injury or illness at work. The law applies to full-time, part-time and casual workers. Workers who are injured in the workplace cannot sue their employer; Instead, they receive money to replace lost wages while they are f f of work recovering from the injury. Benefits also include prescription drugs and health care related to injury or illness. These services are free for workers. Workers are insured even if the employer is not registered. If you employ staff in Ontario, you must notify the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) within 10 days first worker`s job. Most non-resident employers with Ontario workers must register with the WSIB – report wages workers working Ontario and pay insurance premiums for those incomes.

They must not induce an employee to bear the costs or these premiums and not deduct them from his salary. If you employ employees who work for you and do not register with us, you may be fined and/or fined. Employers and workers from outside Ontario Most Canadian workers` compensation organizations have signed an agreement called the Interjurdictional Agreement (IJA) on workers` compensation. The IJA benefits workers and employers whose business or work takes it to more than one province or in Canada. Under the IJA: Workers can choose the jurisdiction in which they receive benefits when they are injured in the workplace – employer avoid paying twice the premiums to cover the same worker. The WSIB considers that most employers outside Ontario who hire an Ontario resident to work in Ontario are “employers” under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act. Contact the Ontario WSIB as soon as you know you are going to have people working in Ontario. They are either people in Ontario or workers in another province or one region. How the IJA works In principle, each participating compensation committee accepts employer for the work done in that country ( province or of territory).

The province where the work takes place, sets the premium rate. The premium rate is based on the company`s business classification. For example: A Manitoba company pays premiums to the Ontario WSIB for workers employed by the Manitoba company, but in Ontario for all or part travaux of their time. An Alberta company that sends workers to work for a fixed period day in Ontario should contact the Ontario WSIB to discuss where non-resident workers can report and pay premiums.